Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!! The year 2018 is upon us. I don’t know about you, but at the turn of each year I look back at the year that has passed and attempt to count my blessings before turning inward and upward to catch a vision for the new year. In retrospect, 2017 has been a beautiful year. It has been another year to live according to God’s purpose and will. On the other hand, I can look back into the year and see missed opportunities along with things that I would change or do better given the chance. There are also tragedies and sicknesses I remember struggling to find His purpose in. In my personal time with the Lord I sporadically involve a devotional I hold dear to my heart by Oswald Chambers called “My Utmost for His Highest”. I have drawn great strength and direction from his December 31st offering:
“As we go forth in the coming year, let it not be in the haste of impetuous, unremembering delight, nor with the flight of impulsive thoughtlessness, but with the patient power of knowing that the God of Israel will go before us. Our yesterdays present irreparable things to us; it is true that we have lost opportunities which will never return, but God can transform this destructive anxiety into constructive thoughtfulness for the future. Let the past sleep, but let it sleep on the bosom of Christ. Leave the Irreparable Past in His hands, and step out into the irresistible Future with Him.”
The future certainly is irresistible, what a comfort that the God of all creation goes before us. I have not faced difficulty in the past without the eventual realization that God saw it all before it happened and planned ahead. He planned moments in advance that I could see His faithfulness in the middle of grief and see his goodness and provision on the mountain tops.
I propose that it is best to not live a purpose driven life with resolutions but rather a spirit-led life. The only resolution I can muster is to walk in the Spirit not fulfilling the lusts of the flesh, to keep my mind in the Word allowing His Word to be the meditation of my heart and to keep my ears open to hear His leading. After all, we were born in this time and this season according to His purpose and will. We don’t enter 2018 by accident but rather by God’s sovereignty.
I am excited to move into a new year! It is my prayer that we dwell closely as a congregation to the heart of God, living as faithful servants and walking in The Way.

- Pastor Jason // Worship & Youth Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Look at the New Year

We knew it was coming. We had anticipated it for several days, even though it wasn’t necessarily front-and-center of our thinking. Then it...